What is ARYLS?
Assessing and Refining Your Leadership Style (ARYLS) is our core
leadership mastery seminar, offered to the public three times
a year exclusively through the Center for Management Research
Its purpose is to help experienced leaders:
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of their current leadership
- Help leaders build on the leadership style they already have
in order to make it more effective
- Give leaders the confidence to ignore everything that doesn’t
work for them because it doesn’t fit with and enhance
their existing leadership style.
Sign Up for the public ARYLS Seminar offered through CMR
Leaders often find the amount of material on leadership overwhelming.
In the limited time they have available, even those who are committed
to their own development tend to be unsure where and how to invest
in learning. When leaders do carve out time to take a seminar,
they often encounter a new theory and practice of leadership that
would require stopping what they currently do and shifting to
something different. Another problem is that many leadership theories
and approaches give conflicting advice. And many are either too
theoretical or restate the obvious.
We created ARYLS to meet the need for a seminar to help experienced
leaders sort through the overwhelming mound of material to find
the few gems that can add significantly to their effectiveness
as leaders. By contrast with other seminars, ARYLS builds on the
style leaders have already developed, that they have already spent
years testing and refining. We help them find areas of their leadership
styles that can be improved through extending and refining what
already works for them. We help them build on the strengths of
their already proven leadership styles, rather than adopt a new
What are the Six Perspectives on Leadership?
The six perspectives cover the entire field
of leadership are:
- 1. Lead by Doing the Right
- 2. Lead by Embodying the Right
- 3. Lead by Using Your Qualities
and Behaviors at the Right Time
- 4. Lead by Managing Your Shadow
- 5. Lead by Adapting Your Leadership
Style to Fit the Situation
- 6. Lead by Selecting/Adapting
the Situation to Fit Your Leadership Style
What does the ARYLS Seminar cover?
The Seminar covers all six perspectives, using each to understand
and identify opportunities to enhance your existing leadership
- Overview: Six Perspectives on Leadership
- Lead by Doing the Right Things
- Lead by Embodying the Right Qualities
- Lead by Using Your Leadership Qualities and Behaviors at
the Right Time
- Lead by Managing Your Shadow
- Lead by Adapting Your Leadership Style to Fit the Situation
- Lead by Selecting/Adapting Situations to Fit Your Leadership
- Applying Your Improved Leadership Style to a Current Situation
- Presenting/Explaining Your Leadership Style to Others
How Is the Course Structured?
For each perspective on Leadership, there is
an opportunity to:
- Assess your current Leadership Style from that perspective
- Explore the potential contributions of the perspective to
your Leadership Style
- Select a few high-leverage improvements to make in your leadership
What distinguishes ARYLS from other seminars
Who else will be participating in the
You assess your current leadership style from six key
perspectives, find the contributions from each perspective that
build on your existing leadership style, and identify ways to
incorporate them in a unique and personal way.
You get concrete assistance in identifying and incorporating
the changes into your leadership style. The approach builds
on theory but is highly practical.
The emphasis is on exercises, small group discussion, and individual
reflection, with a minimum of didactic presentations.
In 2 days, we provide a comprehensive introduction to the entire
field of leadership and provide you with an understanding of
how to leverage the field to support your own learning and development.
You will leave the seminar with a framework for understanding
leadership that will enable you to categorize any book, article
or other source of leadership advice and more readily assess
whether it has anything to offer you. Ongoing support in the
form of teleconferences, ezines, and coaching is also available
after the seminar.
The public seminar draws high-level leaders
from corporations, government, and the non-profit sector. You
are likely to be at the same table with corporate senior executives,
executive directors and senior executives from large non-profits,
and senior government officials.
- Find out what's new with the ARYLS Seminar here.
- Find out about ARYLS customized in-house seminars here.